Flooding Submerges Collapsed Kwara Bridge, Strands Commuters
By Margaret Abah
Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were left stranded on Monday after heavy flooding submerged the collapsed Moro Bridge, disrupting movement along the major interstate route.
The incident followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow, trapping several vehicles in floodwaters and leaving passengers stranded for hours.
Eyewitnesses said some commuters climbed onto vehicle roofs while awaiting rescue as floodwaters overtook the already damaged bridge.
The affected bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa Local Government Areas, had collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly crossed the ageing structure.
The collapse had earlier severed a key transport link connecting Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and routes leading toward the Benin Republic border.
Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation as the temporary diversion earlier promised by the Kwara State Government was yet to be completed.
Video footage from the scene showed partially submerged vehicles and stranded travellers struggling to navigate the flooded route.
Residents and motorists expressed frustration over delays in completing emergency intervention works, warning that the situation could become more dangerous as the rainy season intensifies.
A trader identified as Kafayat said the disruption had negatively affected businesses and transportation in the area.
“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said.
Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for years.
Communities around the Moro River axis have raised concerns that heavier rainfall expected in July and August could trigger more severe flooding if urgent action is not taken.
Following the initial collapse of the bridge in April, the Kwara State Government announced traffic diversion measures and pledged immediate intervention to reduce hardship for road users.
The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had stated that the government was collaborating with federal authorities to address the situation.
“The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in a major disruption along the route,” the commissioner said.
He also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to carry out palliative work on alternative routes while construction continued on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres from the collapsed structure.
Despite the assurances, the latest flooding has intensified concerns over commuter safety and the slow pace of intervention efforts at the site.
The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has served for decades as a major crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, despite repeated rehabilitation due to longstanding structural defects.
Margaret ABAH