NDC Clears Peter Obi for 2027 Presidential Primary
By Margaret Abah
Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to participate in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general election.
The Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.
The screening exercise was held in Abuja on Tuesday.
Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements needed to contest the presidential election under the platform of the party.
According to him, Obi successfully complied with the provisions of the party’s constitution, the Electoral Act, and the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended.
He added that Obi also provided satisfactory answers to questions raised by members of the screening committee during the exercise.
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election,” Egwu stated.
Reacting through his official X account, Obi disclosed that the screening process lasted more than two and a half hours.
According to him, members of the committee thoroughly examined his credentials, including his academic certificates, NYSC documents, and age declaration papers.
Obi also said he responded to questions regarding his vision for Nigeria and the kind of leadership he believes the country urgently requires.
“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations,” Obi said.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.
“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he added.
The former Anambra State governor also commended the screening committee and the leadership of the party for conducting what he described as a transparent and credible process.
The development comes amid ongoing political realignments and coalition talks among opposition parties ahead of the 2027 general election.
Margaret ABAH